Top of main content

Moving from New Zealand

HSBC - your worldwide bank

Establishing your finances in a new country can seem daunting, but our Global International Banking Centre (IBC) is ready to help you move your banking and investments to a new country and make the whole process as seamless as possible. Our network of offices delivers a high-value quality service that will help you settle in to your new life abroad. Whether you want to arrange your banking affairs before you travel or just want to know more about the country, we’ve got all the information and expertise you need. You’ll find some useful tips listed below.

Leaving New Zealand

As an HSBC Premier Customer in New Zealand, you will automatically qualify for an HSBC Premier account if the country you are travelling to has an HSBC Premier Centre. However, you will need to maintain your Premier status in at least one country.

Arranging your finances

It's best to make your financial arrangements early. Check with IBC three months before your departure to see if an overseas account and other financial arrangements can be set up prior to your move or ask for a reference letter that you can take with you.

Depending on your destination, the IBC may be able to arrange for an overseas bank account to be waiting for you when you arrive if The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited operates there1. Should you need assistance in your new country, we can put you in touch with the local HSBC office who has experience with the specific needs of overseas customers.

  • Contact the Global International Banking Centre:
  • Access the CultureWizard website2
  • When visiting the site for the first time, please log on as: 
    Username: HSBC
    Password: Assignee

Visas, work permits and processes

Unless you are a resident in the country you are moving to, you will most likely require a visa or work permit. If you are going overseas on a work contract, contact the appropriate administration department of your company to ensure that they arrange the necessary documents for you. Otherwise, you may need to contact the visa department at the relevant embassy and find out how to obtain the appropriate documents.

Visa and work permit applications can take some time to prepare, so you should start looking into it about a year before departure. Make sure your passport still has at least six months validity left at the time of your move.

Driving overseas

Unless your driving licence was issued in the country you are moving to, you will probably need an international licence accompanied by your usual driving licence at all times. A domestic driving licence can only be accepted for a limited period after arrival.

Once you arrive at your new destination, you should check with the local transportation authority to find out how to apply for a local licence there.

Finding the right place to live

Finding the right place to live can be quite difficult, especially if you are moving with your family. Contact relocation companies with expertise in your new destination to get a head start in your search. If you decide to buy or rent a property abroad, we can arrange for an overseas HSBC office to assist you.

Children's education

If you are moving with your children, you will want to ensure the continuity and consistency of your children's education. You will have a few options to ensure your children's education does not suffer.

  • International schools: If your children attend an international school in New Zealand, you may want to find a similar school in the new country.
  • Local schools: If you are going to stay in the country you are moving to, consider enrolling your children in a local school. Contact the relevant embassy for a list of schools and the application procedures.

Family healthcare

A doctor's check-up for each member of your family is also a good idea. It should be done no later than six months before departure.

In your new country, hospital services, doctors' consultations, emergency services and other forms of healthcare may be wholly or partly paid for by the recipient. You will need to factor this expense into your finances or make sure that you have the appropriate levels of health cover or travel insurance.

Insurance cover

Make sure that everything you hold dear is covered. Consider getting travel insurance in case of emergency while travelling.

Packing up and moving

Once you know your move date, notify the moving company at least three months before departure. Make sure that all your belongings will arrive before you. In addition, obtain a complete listing of your belongings from your mover and check out what documentation you will need to clear customs in your new country.

Just to be safe, leave a photocopy of your passport, visas and other important documents in a safe place before you move.

1Applicants must meet the eligibility requirements for the accounts requested and are subject to local and overseas regulatory requirements. New Zealand securities laws may restrict opening of accounts where The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited does not operate.

2CultureWizard is a complete online cross-cultural training facility, containing cultural awareness e-learning courses, virtual team training, global leadership assessment tools and culturally focused country profiles on over 140 countries.

Please note: This information is provided for your reference only and does not construe any form of legal, financial or other professional advice. The information shown here is derived from sources we believe to be reliable, but which we have not independently verified. HSBC makes no guarantee as to the accuracy or completeness of this information and is not responsible for errors of transmission of factual or analytical data, nor shall it be liable for damages arising out of any person's reliance upon this information. Please refer to our terms and conditions (PDF, 639KB).